All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionImagine a New York devoid of people, its empty streets, bridges, and waterways as silent and magnificent as an Anselm Adams landscape. This is the New York that Christopher Thomas reveals in duotone photographs that are at once haunting and stalgic. Employing a large-format Polaroid camera, Thomas shot many of these images in the early hours of the day or with long exposures. The result is a rare glimpse of the Brooklyn Bridge without pedestrians; Grand Central Station without commuters; Fifth Avenue without cars, vendors, workers, or shoppers. Not only do Thomas's photographs allow viewers to appreciate the spatial and architectural splendor of these New York City icons, but they also evoke a dreamlike feeling that is unusual in visual depictions of the city. Timeless, yet unmistakably contemporary, this collection by an internationally acclaimed photographer is an important addition to the pantheon of photographic essays of New York's most beloved settings.
- Author BiographyCHRISTOPHER THOMAS'S photographs have appeared in Geo, Stern, and Merian, among other publications. He is the author of Venice in Solitude and Paris: City of Light (both by Prestel). PETRA GILOY-HIRTZ is a freelance curator and writer on contemporary art. IRA STEHMANN is a curator and photography expert based in Munich, Germany. ULRICH POHLMANN is director of the Fotomuseum im Mu nchner Stadtmuseum, Munich. ROBERT SHAMIS is a freelance curator. He was Curator for Photography at the Museum of the City of New York between 1999 and 2007.
- Author(s)Christopher Thomas
- Date of Publication22/03/2016
- Place of PublicationMunich
- Country of PublicationGermany
- Content Note90 Duotone
- Weight1406 g
- Width280 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.