All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA tour of the city's best dessert-makers, complete with recipes. The Big Apple is a city of sweets. Think about all the classic desserts that were made famous here: cheesecake, black-and-white cookies, the Broadway milkshake. Visitors from around the world make pilgrimages to bastions of butter and flour such as Maglia, Ferrara, and City Bakery. And today there is a renaissance of young sugar-minded artisans who are crafting exquisite confections with fair-trade chocolate, organic gelato, and sea-salt caramel--many coming out of Brooklyn, and selling from street trucks. Paging through New York Sweets is like walking through a candy shop, where the design and packaging is often as beautiful as the desserts themselves. The book also functions as an inspired gastromic tour guide--one skewed toward plenty of breaks for sweets. Each chapter walks through a different neighborhood, giving a sense of the melting pot of flavors that can be found only in New York--from apple strudel and baklava to turron and zabaglione. The recipes reveal the secret techniques behind such delights as Cherry Brownies (Baked), Crack Pie (Milk Bar), Icebox Pie (Billy's), Macarons (Payard), and Creme Brulee Doughnuts (Doughnut Plant). As in other realms of culture, so many trends start in New York. This book gives the scoop on all the treats that everyone is buzzing about.
- Author BiographySusan Pear Meisel grew up in New York, where she started her own catering business. Today she is a photographer whose work is featured in numerous private collections. Among her previous books is Gourmet Shops of New York.
- Author(s)Susan Meisel
- PublisherRizzoli International Publications
- Date of Publication09/04/2013
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRizzoli International Publications
- Content Note200 Colour Photographs
- Weight857 g
- Width203 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine23 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.