All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the story of New York's west side longer stars the Sharks and the Jets. Instead it's a story of urban transformation, cultural shifts, and an expanding contemporary art scene. The Chelsea Gallery District has become New York's most dominant neighborhood for contemporary art, and the streets of the west side are filled with gallery owners, art collectors, and tourists. Developments like the High Line, historical preservation projects like the Gansevoort Market, the Chelsea galleries, and plans for megaprojects like the Hudson Yards Development have redefined what is w being called the Far West Side of Manhattan. David Halle and Elisabeth Tiso offer a deep analysis of the transforming district in New York's New Edge, and the result is a new understanding of how we perceive and interpret culture and the city in New York's gallery district. From individual interviews with gallery owners to the behind-the-scenes politics of preservation initiatives and megaprojects, the book provides an in-depth account of the developments, obstacles, successes, and failures of the area and the factors that have contributed to them.
- Author BiographyDavid Halle is a professor of sociology at the University of California, Los Angeles and director of UCLA in New York: Cities and Cultures, Summer Travel Program. He is also an adjunct professor at the City University of New York's Graduate Center and the author of America's Working Man and Inside Culture, both published by the University of Chicago Press. Elisabeth Tiso is an art historian who has taught at Parsons, Fordham University, and UCLA in New York. She has published reviews and articles on contemporary art and architecture in Art in American, ArtNews Magazine, Parole Gelees and other academic publications.
- Author(s)David Halle,Elisabeth Tiso
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication19/12/2014
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note63 halftones, 6 figures, 1 table
- Weight862 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.