All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere are only a few areas in human nutrition and metabolism where biomarkers are routinely used to predict health and functional outcome. For instance, of the four major nutritional deficiencies, only iron deficiency can be precisely diagsed by employing biomarkers. They therefore play a limited role in research and decision making, and intervention strategies are still mostly targeted at the population level. What is needed at this stage are biomarkers that are predictive of later functional health and that stay stable from infancy to childhood and adult health. Moreover, individual variability must be considered, taking into account the complexity of foods, lifestyle, and metabolic processes that contribute to health or disease. These factors present significant challenges when it comes to personalizing dietary advice for healthy or diseased individuals. This book focuses on the values and limitations of traditional nutritional biomarkers and on opportunities for new biomarkers. Contributions are divided into three parts: Methodologies with regard to global epidemiology; applications/end users, and future horizons. The main goal is to review recent developments and predict how exciting new techlogies could be used to drive advances in nutrition-related health care.
- PublisherS Karger AG
- Date of Publication14/01/2016
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleNestle Nutrition Institute Workshop Series, Pediatric Program
- Series Part/Volume Number84
- Place of PublicationBasel
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintS Karger AG
- Content Note16, 16 fig., 2 in color, 7 tab.
- Weight520 g
- Edited byA. M. Prentice,Anil Dhawan,E. E. Baetge
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.