CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionIn Ngarrindjeri Wurruwarrin, Diane Bell invites her readers into the complex and contested world of the cultural beliefs and practices of the Ngarrindjeri of South Australia; teases out the meanings and misreadings of the written sources; traces changes and continuities in oral accounts; challenges assumptions about what Ngarrindjeri women kw, how they kw it, and how outsiders may kw what is to be kwn. Wurruwarrin: kwing and believing. In 1995, a South Australian Royal Commission found Ngarrindjeri women to have fabricated their beliefs to stop the building of a bridge from Goolwa to Hindmarsh Island. By 2001, in federal court, the women were vindicated as truth-tellers. In 2009, the site was registered, but scars remain of that shameful moment. In the Preface to the New Edition, Diane Bell looks to the world that will be , where talented, committed Ngarrindjeri leaders are building the infrastructure for future generations of the Ngarrindjeri nation and challenging the very foundation of the State of South Australia.The Apology to the Stolen Generations in 2008 and its evocation of an inclusive us has propelled the Ngarrindjeri on the path to practical reconciliation . But progress has been uneven. Petty politics, procrastinations and prevarications stand in the way of its realisation.
- Author BiographyDiane Bell is a writer, a former professor of anthropology at the University of Adelaide, and a former writer and editor in residence at Flinders University. She is a professor emerita of anthropology at George Washington University. She is the author of Daughters of the Dreaming, Evil, Listen to Ngarrindjeri Women Speaking, and Radically Speaking: Feminism Reclaimed.
- Author(s)Diane Bell
- PublisherSpinifex Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNorth Melbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintSpinifex Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight915 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.