All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnyone who's ever encountered one of Nick Cave's Soundsuits - whether in a gallery or on the street - can't help but be fascinated with these brightly hued, provocative constructions that function as both costume and sculpture. The most comprehensive survey of the artist's work to date, this large-format volume compiles the fantastic Soundsuits for which the artist is best kwn, together with his other sculptural work, related projects in video and socially-engaged live performance. The book chronicles the artist's ingenious and virtuoso use of materials, which began with a Soundsuit constructed entirely from twigs and has since ranged from second-hand afghan rugs and other thrift-store finds to feathers, buttons, beading and rainbow-dyed synthetic hair. Dazzling images of Cave's Soundsuits, often worn by the artist, are presented alongside video stills and performance views that capture the current of joyful energy that runs throughout the work. Two essays provide an illuminating critical context for the artist's practice, with Nato Thompson discussing the cultural and artistic antecedents of the Soundsuits and Elvira Dyangani Ose addressing issues of site-specificity and the collective nature of Cave's recent performance work. Beautiful, insightful and exciting, this volume will be a must-have for Cave's ever-growing audience.
- Author BiographyElvira Dyangani Ose is Curator of International Art at Tate Modern and the co-author of Lard Buurman: Africa Junctions. Capturing the City. Nato Thompson is Chief Curator at Creative Time and the author of Seeing Power: Socially Engaged Art in the Age of Cultural Production.
- Author(s)Andrew Bolton,Elvira Dyangani Ose,Nato Thompson
- Date of Publication01/09/2014
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationMunich
- Country of PublicationGermany
- Content Note250 colour
- Weight2259 g
- Width240 mm
- Height338 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.86Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.