All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the 2005 Los Angeles Times Book PrizeA Washington Post Book World Top Five Nonfiction Book of the YearA Seattle Times Top Ten Best Book of the YearA New York Times Notable Book of the YearIn 2003, The Washington Post 's Anthony Shadid went to war in Iraq, but t as an embedded journalist. Born and raised in Oklahoma, of Lebanese descent, Shadid, a fluent Arabic speaker, has spent the last three years dividing his time between Washington, D.C., and Baghdad. The only journalist to win a Pulitzer Prize for his extraordinary coverage of Iraq, Shadid is also the only writer to describe the human story of ordinary Iraqis weathering the unexpected impact of America's invasion and occupation. Through the moving stories of individual Iraqis, Shadid shows how Saddam's downfall paved the way t just for hopes of democracy but also for the importation of jihad and the rise of a bloody insurgency. A superb reporter's book, wrote Seymour Hersh; Night Draws Near is, according to Mark Danner, essential.
- Author BiographyAnthony Shadid has reported for the Associated Press, The Boston Globe, and, since the beginning of the war in Iraq, The Washington Post. In addition to the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting, his stories from Iraq have earned him an American Society of Newspaper Editors award for deadline news reporting and the Overseas Press Club's Hal Boyle Award for best newspaper or wire-service reporting from abroad. While at The Boston Globe, Shadid was awarded the 2002 George Polk Award for Foreign Reporting for a series of dispatches from the Middle East. An Arab-American of Lebanese descent, he was born and raised in Oklahoma and now lives in Washington, D.C., and Baghdad.
- Author(s)Anthony Shadid
- PublisherPicador USA
- Date of Publication02/10/2006
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPicador USA
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.