All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'The Pies beat the Saints and the city of Melbourne was still cloaked in black and white crepe paper when the rumour of a pack rape by celebrating footballers began to surface...And so, as police were confiscating bedsheets from a townhouse in South Melbourne, the trial by media began.' What does a young footballer do to cut loose? At night, some play what they think of as pranks, or games: night games with women. Sometimes these involve consensual sex, sometimes t, and often the lines are blurred. In Night Games, Anna Krien follows the rape trial of an Australian Rules footballer. She also takes a balanced and fearless look at the dark side of footy culture - the world of Sam Newman, Ricky Nixon, Matty Johns and the Cronulla Sharks. Both a courtroom drama and a riveting work of narrative journalism, this is a breakthrough book by one of the leading young lights of Australian writing.
- Author BiographyAnna Krien is the author of Into the Woods: The Battle for Tasmania's Forests and Quarterly Essay 45 Us and Them: On the Importance of Animals.
- Author(s)Anna Krien
- PublisherBlack Inc.
- Date of Publication26/03/2014
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintBlack Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight258 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Most relevant reviews
- oyassine201108 Jul, 2014by
More description of events than a discussion/analysis of Sex, Power & Sport
I'd heard Anne Krien speak about this book on several ABC outlets, and I thought she sounded very interesting talking about this topic. It was something different from either the 'Boys will be boys" or 'All men are pigs' we usually hear. But I have to say I was overall not impressed. The additional areas of this topic - in my opinion, female behaviours - are only lightly discussed. In some cases, only a sentence or two. And one of the author's main themes, of a 'Grey area', is also not really discussed in detail. As a description of events, it was good; but as an exploration of the topic, not really so.
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09