All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis elegantly written book describes the changes in the perception and experience of the night in three great European cities: Paris, Berlin and London. The lighting up of the European city by gas and electricity in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries brought about a new relationship with the night, in respect of both work and pleasure.Nights in the Big City explores this new awareness of the city in all its ramifications. Joachim Schlor has spent his days sifting through countless police and church archives and first-hand accounts, and his nights exploring the highways and byways of these three great capitals. Illustrated with haunting and evocative photographs by Brandt and Kertesz, among others, and filled with contemporary literary references, Nights in the Big City has been acclaimed as a milestone in the cultural history of the city. This new edition features a Preface by Matthew Beaumont, author of Nightwalking: A Nocturnal History of London (Verso, 2015).
- Author BiographyJoachim Schlor is a cultural historian based at the University of Southampton. He is the author of Tel Aviv: From Dream to City (Reaktion, 1999). Matthew Beaumont is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of English at University College London. His books include Nightwalking: A Nocturnal History of London (Verso, 2015).
- Author(s)Joachim Schlor
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/06/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Weight635 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.34Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.