Nine Contemporary Jewish Plays: From the New Play Commission of the National Foundation for Jewish Culture by University of Texas Press (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $56.86Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $47.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJewish theatre-plays about and usually by Jews-enters the twenty-first century with a long and distinguished history. To keep this vibrant tradition alive, the National Foundation for Jewish Culture established the New Play Commissions in Jewish Theatre in 1994. The commissions are awarded in an annual competition. Their goal is to help emerging and established dramatists develop new works in collaboration with a wide variety of theatres. Since its inception, the New Play Commissions has contributed support to more than seventy-five professional productions, staged readings, and workshops. This anthology brings together nine commissioned plays that have gone on to full production. Ellen Schiff and Michael Posnick have selected works that reflect many of the historical and social forces that have shaped contemporary Jewish experience and defined Jewish identity-among them, surviving the Holocaust, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and the lives of newcomers in America, Israel, and Argentina. Following a foreword by Theodore Bikel, the editors provide introductory explanations of the New Play Commissions and an overview of Jewish theatre. The playwrights comment on the genesis of their work and its production history.
- Author BiographyELLEN SCHIFF has written extensively on the depiction of Jews on stage. She is most recently the editor of Awake and Singing: Six Great American Jewish Plays. She serves as a juror in the New Play Commissions competition and as advisor to the Global Theatre Initiative in Israel and the Jewish Theatre of Austria. A veteran member of the Association for Jewish Theatre, she lives in New York City. MICHAEL POSNICK is Professor and Director of the Department of Dance and Theatre at Manhattanville College in Purchase, New York. A longtime juror for the New Play Commissions and theatre consultant to the NFJC, he founded and directed the Mosaic Theatre at the 92nd Street Y. His productions have been seen at Yale Repertory Theatre, Manhattan Theatre Club, and Lincoln Center. He is a resident of New York City.
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note9 b&w photos
- Weight1062 g
- Width156 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Edited byEllen Schiff,Michael Posnick
- Foreword byTheodore Bikel
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.24
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.44
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.