All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionNineteenth-Century Science is a science anthology which provides over 30 selections from original 19th-century scientific mographs, textbooks and articles written by such authors as Charles Darwin, Mary Somerville, J.W. Goethe, John Dalton, Charles Lyell and Hermann von Helmholtz. The volume surveys scientific discovery and thought from Jean-Baptiste Lamarck's theory of evolution of 1809 to the isolation of radium by Marie and Pierre Curie in 1898. Each selection opens with a biographical introduction, situating each scientist and discovery within the context of history and culture of the period. Each entry is also followed by a list of further suggested reading on the topic. A broad range of technical and popular material has been included, from Mendeleev's detailed description of the periodic table to Faraday's highly accessible lecture for young people on chemistry of a burning candle. The anthology will be of interest to the general reader who would like to explore in detail the scientific, cultural, and intellectual development of the nineteenth-century, as well as to students and teachers who specialize in the science, literature, history, or sociology of the period. The book provides examples from all the disciplines of western science-chemistry, physics, medicine, astromy, biology, evolutionary theory, etc. The majority of the entries consist of complete, unabridged journal articles or book chapters from original 19th-century scientific texts.
- Author BiographyA.S. Weber of The State University of New York at Binhamton is also the author of Women Almanac Writers and of scholarly articles on such writers as Christina Rossetti and Matthew Arnold.
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight843 g
- Width178 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byA. Scott Weber
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.