Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $96.38Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $14.20
About this product
- DescriptionA soldier is killed trying to save the life of a civilian who has business to be wandering about an army battle range. The man is picked up and threatened by the local police, understandably angry. Then on to the scene comes by chance Chief Superintendent Kenworthy, who is holiday with his brother-in-law, also a senior police officer and in charge of this district. At first unwilling, Kenworthy is increasingly baffled and intrigued by the long history of events that begins to unfold. Why should a staunch citizen of faultless antecedents risk his life under a storm of live ammunition? Why does he seem unable to keep away from this forbidden abandoned village? An extraordinary incident in the Second World War comes to light; a man's glimpse of a beautiful young woman, in a setting haunted by inexplicable activities; his pilgrimage to find her -- and his involvement in a strange rural mystery that leads inexorably to murder. The delight in watching Kenworthy's devious methods is as great as it was in John Buxton Hilton's earlier vel, Hangman's Tide. Here is a whodunit laden with character and atmosphere, strong echoes from the past, scenes of pure excitement, and a shattering conclusion.
- Author BiographyJohn Buxton Hilton was born in 1921 in Buxton, Derbyshire. After his war service in the army he became an Inspector of schools, before retiring in 1970 to take up full-time writing. He wrote two books on language teaching as well as being a prolific crime writer - his works include the Superintendent Simon Kenworthy series and the Inspector Thomas Brunt series, as well as the Inspector Mosley series under the pseudonym John Greenwood.
- Author(s)John Buxton Hilton
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication13/09/2012
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleSimon Kenworthy
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMacmillan Bello
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight313 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Interest Age16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.