All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYou kw, a lot of people like to talk about it, and I'm always pushing, pushing away, you kw, I'm always pushing. I hate to remember, I hate to talk about it. But in the wake of her husband's death, and afraid that the story would never be told, Alina Bacall-Zwirn, a survivor of the Warsaw ghetto and four Nazi concentration camps, decided to remember and to bear witness to the history she and her husband suffered together. In a unique format that combines personal testimony, photographs, letters, legal documents and contributions from Alina's family; No Common Place interweaves a survivor's story with her reflections on the impact of her traumatic past on herself and her family. As it follows Alina through conversations with Jared Stark and with interviewers at the Fortuff Video Archive for Holocaust Testimonies, and as it records her participation in the dedication ceremonies of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, the books speaks to the importance of the individual's voice in shaping collective memory of the Holocaust. The supporting materials-chrology, maps, and tes-allow the survivor's voice to serve as a guide to the study of the Holocaust and its aftermath.
- Author BiographyAlina Bacall-Zwirn was born Alinka Handszer in Warsaw, Poland, in 1922. Married in the Warsaw ghetto and a survivor of four Nazi concentration camps, she immigrated to the United States with her husband in 1949. Alina died in 1997, one month after completing her testimony. Jared Stark is Assistant Professor of Literary Cultures at the John W. Draper Interdisciplinary Master's Program in Humanities and Social Thought at New York University.
- Author(s)Alina Bacall-Zwirn,Jared Stark
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2000
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content NoteIllus., maps
- Weight214 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.