All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHe was named by The Atlantic Monthly the most sought-after strategist in the Democratic party. He was targeted by National Review as the Democratic Party's poet goon. From his unique perspective, Robert Shrum gives us an epic and personal story of the struggle for power in America during the past four decades.With wit and humor, rare candor, and a wealth of detail, Shrum vividly recounts the real personalities and real forces that shaped the outcome of the closest and most important elections of our time. We are there with him in the back rooms, on the planes, and in the motorcades with Ted Kennedy, Al Gore, John Kerry, John Edwards, and Bill and Hillary Clinton.Shrum reveals the manipulations and limitations of old and new forms of political persuasion, from the historic and sometimes controversial speeches he wrote to the negative ads he created for national and statewide candidates, from prepping presidential minees for critical debates to the deployment of the new political weapon, the Internet.He lifts the curtain on decisive moments. Did John Kerry and John Edwards actually believe in the Iraq war they voted for? What was the real reason the Kerry campaign didn't respond faster to the Swift Boat attacks? Why didn't Al Gore let Bill Clinton campaign all-out in 2000? How did Clinton get through the first perilous week of the Lewinsky scandal?This is a provocative journey through recent history: George McGovern's antiwar campaign of 1972, the improbable rise of Jimmy Carter, Senate campaigns that made historic breakthroughs and shaped the presidential contests of the future, the gifts that made Bill Clinton a great politician-and the circumstances and calculations that kept him from being a great president.As strategist, adviser, and often friend to the leaders he enlisted with, Shrum shows them as they are, with their strengths and human weaknesses-as well as his own.Assailed as a populist who pushed the Democratic Party (in a phrase he coined) to stand for the people, t the powerful, Shrum argues that unlike Republicans from Reagan on, Democrats fall short, politically or in office, when they trim their convictions and walk away from fundamental issues-like universal health coverage.This is one of the most fascinating books ever written about the victories and defeats, the causes and candidates, the flawed heroes that drive the high drama of American politics.
- Author BiographyRobert Shrum has been a major force in American politics for more than three decades. He was involved in Democratic presidential campaigns from 1972 to 2004, most recently as senior strategist to Al Gore and John Kerry. He has helped elect more than thirty U.S. senators, ten governors, and the mayors of major American cities. He lives on Cape Cod and serves as a senior fellow at New York University. Michael Prichard has played several thousand characters during his career. While he has been seen performing over one hundred of them in theater and film, Michael is primarily heard, having recorded well over five hundred full-length books. During his career as a one-man repertory company, he has recorded many series with running characters-including the complete Travis McGee adventures by John D. MacDonald and the complete Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout-as well as series by such masters as Mark Twain, John Cheever, and John Updike. His numerous awards and accolades include an Audie Award for Tears in the Darkness by Michael Norman and Elizabeth M. Norman and several AudioFile Earphones Awards, including for At All Costs by Sam Moses and In Nixon's Web by L. Patrick Gray III. Named a Top Ten Golden Voice by SmartMoney magazine, he holds an M.F.A. in theater from the University of Southern California. Michael appears regularly on the professional stage, including as a member of Ray Bradbury's Pandemonium Theatre Company, performing such great roles as Captain Beatty in Fahrenheit 451, which became the second-longest-running production in the Los Angeles area. Bradbury himself dubbed Michael the finest Beatty in history.
- Author(s)Robert Shrum
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication02/07/2007
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight206 g
- Width178 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine45 mm
- Narrator(s)Michael Prichard
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time1350
- Edition StatementLibrary ed
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $93.78Trending at AU $97.15
- AU $20.36Trending at AU $34.82
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.49
- AU $18.31Trending at AU $19.58
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $44.95
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $35.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.