All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the value of a PhD in Canada from a broad perspective and is written in a format suitable for a wide audience: professionals, business executives, governments and policy makers. It is presented through self-explanatory charts. The book dispels the conventional wisdom that the highest possible education is always rewarded. Earnings of PhDs in Canada are very close to those with a Masters; their unemployment rate is even higher, quite opposite of their counterparts in the United States and OECD countries. A government report shows that a good number of them are driving taxies. There are three main reasons for the deplorable state of Canada's PhDs: declining academic positions due to continued budget cuts (universities being the main employer), antipathy of politicians who are decision makers in governments (the second major employer) toward facts and research, and the continuing risk-averse, traditional outlook of the Canadian business sector. Canada's private sector is at the bottom among competing OECD countries when it comes to R&D activities. It hires only 4% PhDs compared to the 42% hired by the private sector in the United States. Canada's ecomy is still predominantly resource based, as it was in the last century. About 60% of Canada's manufacturing and 70% of its top ten exports are resource related -- areas of the ecomy where there is hardly a need for PhDs. Future outlook for PhDs is t expected to be different. It is due to shrinking full time faculty positions, aversion of political masters towards science and research and mindset of private sector to be content with the continued traditional primary and resource based ecomic activities.
- Author BiographyDr. Mahmood Iqbal is a visiting scholar at the department of Economics, Carleton University, Canada. His work experience includes nearly 20 years of service at the Conference Board of Canada. He specializes in inter-disciplinary areas of economic policy research, and is the author of more than 35 published reports and 25 articles.
- Author(s)Mahmood Iqbal Phd
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication15/09/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight136 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.