All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn early 1918, it seemed to many that the British people and the Allies were close to defeat. At home, the chief culprit was the German U-boat. Sailing almost upposed from the North Sea ports of Zeebrugge and Ostend, the submarines were taking a heavy toll on Allied shipping, and one seemed to be doing anything about it. The job eventually went to Vice Admiral Roger Keyes, 'The Modern Nelson', who had a long record of close action with enemies from China to the Heligoland Bight. Equally, he was unafraid of those senior to him whom he considered to be incompetent. Within days of his appointment Keyes had put together an audacious plan to sink blockships in the enemy-held ports. However, his success, along with the eleven VCs won in the battles, led his detractors to play down his achievement, even by using German propaganda against him. This entirely new account, containing groundbreaking research and rare illustrations throughout, at last sets the record straight about these important engagements.
- Author BiographyErnest Coleman served in the Royal Navy for 36 years, in everything from submarines to aircraft carriers. He is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, and Chairman of the Naval Historical Collectors and Research Society. He is a member of the Society for Nautical Research and of the Navy Records Society. He is the author of Khaki Jack, Rank and Rate, and The Royal Navy in Polar Exploration Vols I and II.
- Author(s)E. C. Coleman
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication27/08/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note90 black & white illustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.