CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $39.16
About this product
- DescriptionIn No, Really, Where Are You From? Nancy Ng tells the insightful true stories of how eight Chinese individuals, young and old and from various ecomic backgrounds, negotiated being a visible mirity in mainstream Canada. With insight and inspiration, Ng writes of these remarkable people's experiences with their Chinese culture from childhood to adulthood. No, Really, Where Are You From? t only discusses the importance of global migration and its impact on ethnic identity; it also tells the stories of those who have first-hand experience of the issue. Ethnic identity retention and loss is never black and white... it is constantly reshaping and redefining itself.
- Author BiographyNo, Really, Where Are You From? is Nancy Ng's first book. In 2005, she began work on No, Really, Where Are You From? because she was tired of having to explain why a Chinese looking girl ended up being born in Venezuela and has a Canadian accent. Besides being detained by immigration officers while abroad because nothing in her passport matches (imagine having your birthplace listed as Venezuela and citizenship as Canadian, while looking Chinese!), Nancy has also been explaining this different background for most of her life. And she's tired of it. The constant curiosity from others of her cultural backgrounds eventually lead to writing this book. She knows cultural identity is a sensitive topic that can be up there with religion or even politics, but we need to talk about it. She also wanted to write this book because she often wonders what would have become of her, if she had never left Venezuela and grew up Venezuelan. Rather than returning to Venezuela and interviewing Chinese individuals born and raised there, Nancy looked closer to home for answers. Through her graduate work, she was able to further explore cultural identity and eventually her Chinese identity with No, Really, Where Are You From? But Nancy is more than just her writing. Nancy has travelled the world extensively absorbing and exploring as much of the diverse, rich, and colorful histories and food, around the planet. She doesn't know if she can ever break her travel addiction! She also loves to climb some of the world's highest mountains (Mt. Kilimanjaro-Africa-2005, Mt. Everest Basecamp-Nepal- 2008, and Mt. Aconcagua-Argentina-2012). Let's just say Nancy likes to start at the top! In her spare time, she also loves to rock and ice climb, devour over biographies, and she can't get enough of the property/real estate channel. Nancy has also written and produced a play, The Yellow Peril, for the 2003 Edmonton Fringe Festival. She graduated from the University of Alberta (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) with a BA in Sociology, and from Carleton University (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) with an MA in Sociology. She lives in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Her next book is about her personal journey preparing for and actually climbing the world's second highest mountain, Mount Aconcagua in Mendoza, Argentina.
- Author(s)Miss Nancy Ng
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication03/08/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight290 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.