All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis poetry collection includes prose. Some pieces tell stories. Others half-express, half-explain, a certain pressure of situation. Poems in a book do t sound, or signify, as do poems extracted, or composed, to stand alone. The sequence matters, as does the whole. Prose, by the fact of its inclusion in a poetry collection, calls attention to its qualities, and to poetry's differences, as it cant do elsewhere. Writers pick up on, think their way into, other voices. If this is objectionable, so is every attempt to understand others. The words on my pages derive from various areas in my mental landscape. One example: having read some Anglo-Saxon, the poetry of a people who understood the sea, I sought a way to render the rhythms and memories that, in England, recalled me to Trinidad. Without imitation, without the superimposition of one tradition on ather experience, different bindings of language became available to tie and loosen what held my mind. The influences, and processes, are many and ongoing. I realized that this shifting of modes, which initially seemed natural, was t universally obvious. This became a concern within the writing. Identity politics; the lyrical I; were inadequate to a sense of self evolving from others and their words, accessible or arcane. This book is an autobiography, moving outwards from Trinidad; from the mind that feels free to report on the world, into the mind that kws it must question itself. Finally it becomes a way of houring the dead, a logical journey's-end.
- Author BiographyVahni Capildeo was born in 1973, in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad. She came to England in 1991. This is her first book.
- Author(s)Dr. Vahni Capildeo
- PublisherSalt Publishing
- Date of Publication15/04/2003
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationApplecross, WA
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2003
- ImprintSalt Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight241 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $52.78
- AU $22.83Trending at AU $27.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.