All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe author of the controversial book The Nurture Assumption tackles the biggest mystery in all of psychology: What makes people differ so much in personality and behavior? It can't just be nature and nurture, because even identical twins who grow up together-same genes, same parents-have different personalities. And if psychologists can't explain why identical twins are different, they also can't explain why each of us differs from everyone else. Why two people are alike. Harris turns out to be well suited for the role of detective-it isn't easy to pull the wool over her eyes. She rounds up the usual suspects and shows why ne of the currently popular explanations for human differences-birth order effects, for example, or interactions between genes and environment-can be the perpetrator she is looking for. None of these theories can solve the mystery of human individuality. The search for clues carries Harris into some fascinating byways of science. The evidence she examines ranges from classic experiments in social psychology to cutting-edge research in neuroscience. She looks at studies of twins, research on autistic children, observations of chimpanzees, birds, and even ants. Her solution is a startlingly original one: the first completely new theory of personality since Freud's. Based on a principle of evolutionary psychology-the idea that the human mind is a toolbox of special-purpose devices-Harris's theory explains how attributes we all have in common can make us different. This is the story of a scientific quest, but it is also the personal story of a courageous and invative woman who refused to be satisfied with what everyone kws is true.
- Author BiographyJudith Rich Harris is an independent investigator and a former writer of textbooks in child development. She lives in New Jersey with her husband.
- Author(s)Judith Rich Harris
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication06/07/2007
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Note12 illustrations
- Weight320 g
- Width142 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.