All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis illuminating study examines the dramatic transformation of Bohemian ble identify from the rise of mass politics in the late nineteenth century to the descent of the Iron Curtain after World War II. At the turn of the 20th Century, some 300 ble families owned over a third of the Habsburg Bohemian Crownlands. With the Empire's demise in 1918, the once powerful Bohemian bility quickly became a target of the nationalist revolution sweeping the new Czechoslovak state. Eagle Glassheim traces the evolving efforts of the bles to define their place in this revolutionary new order. Nobles saw little choice but to ally with Czech and German national parties, initially in the hopes of assuaging radical land reform. Yet they retained aristocratic political and social traditions that continued to shape their national identities after 1918. Some moved toward a hybrid national identification, embracing a form of German internationalism and a vision of pan-European unity that led many to support Hitler's expansionist efforts in the late 1930s. Others trumpeted their new-found Czech nationalism in resisting the Nazi occupation. Noble Nationalists offers valuable insights on the nationalisation of a conservative political elite, as well as on the national and social revolutions that recast Central Europe in the first half of the 20th Century.
- Author BiographyEagle Glassheim is Assistant Professor of History at Princeton University.
- Author(s)Eagle Glassheim
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note6 halftones 2 maps
- Weight594 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.03Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.