All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNobody is a highly stylized memoir that employs the choose-your-own-adventure structure to illustrate the complexity of navigating trauma for both author and reader. Nobody invites you to closely share a young girl s brave journey of growing up in Australia in the eighties in a violent and abusive world. It transgresses the boundaries of literary traumatic representation to weave moments of sweetness and humor through a narrative where unexpected threads of beauty and darkness intersect, emphasizing the horrors of her environment. In conflating the labyrinth and maze, Nobody offers glimpses of the threads and juxtapositions that emerge when struggling to cope with traumatic memory. Nobody s second-person narration and choose-your-own-adventure form work seamlessly together with word and image to powerfully convey the intimate exchange that the author had with her fragmented selves while writing, and reveals the claustrophobia and confusion of PTSD. Nobody challenges readers to cross the threshold: it forces them to examine their position as voyeuristic consumers of trauma and asks them to recognize their essential role as participant-witnesses. Through facilitating readers uncomfortable engagement with the text, Nobody challenges them to see the threads of complicity connecting individuals and communities to the ongoing issues of domestic violence and child sexual abuse.
- Author BiographyThreasa Meads is an Adelaide-based writer and visual artist with a PhD in creative writing from Flinders University. Nobody was shortlisted for The Australian /Vogel s Literary Award in 2008 and awarded a Varuna Fellowship in 2009. In 2012 she was emerging writer in residence at the KSP Writers Centre. Threasa has a passion for nurturing writers and building creative communities, and since 2009 she has taught in the School of Humanities and Creative Arts at Flinders University, where she is currently an associate lecturer. Her writing crosses genres and has been published in local and international journals. Nobody is the first in a series of three memoirs. At present she is turning her thesis into a computer game, researching her third memoir, writing a magical realist novel, and painting up a storm.
- Author(s)Threasa Meads
- PublisherRare Bird Books
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRare Bird Books
- Weight181 g
- Width140 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $52.78
- AU $22.83Trending at AU $27.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.