All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the past 15 years, quantum field theory and classical statistical mechanics have merged into a single field, and the need for nperturbative methods for the description of critical phemena in statistical mechanics as well as for problems in elementary particle physics are generally ackwledged. Such methods formed the central theme of the 1987 Cargese Advanced Study Institut. e on Nonpert. urbat. ive Quantum Field Theory. The use of conformal symmet. ry has been of central interest in recent years, and was a main subject at. t. he ASI. Conformal invariant quantum field theory describes statistical mechanical systems exactly at a critical point, and can be analysed to a remarkable ext. ent. by group t. heoretical methods. Very strong results have been obtained for 2-dimensional systems. Conformal field theory is also the basis of string theory, which offers some hope of providing a unified t. heory of all interactions between elementary particles. Accordingly, a number of lectures and seminars were presented on these two topics. After syst. ematic introductory lectures, conformal field theory on Riemann surfaces, orbifolds, sigma models, and application of loop group theory and Grassmannians were discussed, and some ideas on modular geometry were presented. Other lectures combined' traditional techniques of constructive quant. um field theory with new methods such as the use of index-t. heorems and infinite dimensional (Kac Moody) symmetry groups. The problems encountered in a quantum mechanical description of black holes were discussed in detail.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication12/12/2011
- Series TitleNATO Science Series B
- Series Part/Volume Number185
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1045 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byA. Jaffe,G. 't Hooft,G. Mack,P. K. Mitter,R. Stora
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1988
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.