Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionIn the aftermath of the discoveries in foundations of mathematiC's there was surprisingly little effect on mathematics as a whole. If one looks at stan- dard textbooks in different mathematical disciplines, especially those closer to what is referred to as applied mathematics, there is little trace of those developments outside of mathematical logic and model theory. But it seems fair to say that there is a widespread conviction that the principles embodied in the Zermelo - Fraenkel theory with Choice (ZFC) are a correct description of the set theoretic underpinnings of mathematics. In most textbooks of the kind referred to above, there is, of course, discussion of these matters, and set theory is assumed informally, although more advanced principles like Choice or sometimes Replacement are often mentioned explicitly. This implicitly fixes a point of view of the mathemat- ical universe which is at odds with the results in foundations. For example most mathematicians still take it for granted that the real number system is uniquely determined up to isomorphism, which is a correct point of view as long as one does t accept to look at unnatural interpretations of the membership relation.
- Author BiographyI) Vladimir Kanovei graduated Moscow State university 1973 PhD Moscow State university 1976 Doctor of Science in Phys. Math. Moscow Steklov inst. 1986 assistant to full professor at Moscow Railroad engineering inst. 1976 - 1998 currently leading researcher at Institute for Information transmissin problems (IITP) Moscow interests in mathematics: logic and foundations, set theory, nonstandard analysis publications: over 100 papers in Russian and international mathematical journals II) Michael Reeken PhD in theoretical physics, University of Vienna 1968 Research Fellow at the Battelle Institute, Geneva, 1969 - 1972 Research grant at the University of Bonn, 1972 - 1974 Professor at the University of Bochum, 1972 - 1979 Full Professor at the Bergische Universitat Wuppertal since 1979 interests in mathematics: problems from mathematical physics, nonlinear functional analysis, nonstandard mathematics, philosophy of mathematics.
- Author(s)Michael Reeken,Vladimir Kanovei
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication11/08/2004
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSpringer Monographs in Mathematics
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Notebiography
- Weight779 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.