All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionNormative Jurisprudence aims to reinvigorate rmative legal scholarship that both criticizes positive law and suggests reforms for it, on the basis of stated moral values and legalistic ideals. It looks sequentially and in detail at the three major traditions in jurisprudence - natural law, legal positivism and critical legal studies - that have in the past provided philosophical foundations for just such rmative scholarship. Over the last fifty years or so, all of these traditions, although for different reasons, have taken a number of different turns - toward empirical analysis, conceptual analysis or Foucaultian critique - and away from straightforward rmative criticism. As a result, rmative legal scholarship - scholarship that is aimed at criticism and reform - is w lacking a foundation in jurisprudential thought. The book criticizes those developments and suggests a return, albeit with different and in many ways larger challenges, to this traditional understanding of the purpose of legal scholarship.
- Author BiographyRobin West is an Associate Dean for Research and Frederick Haas Professor of Law and Philosophy at the Georgetown University Law Center. She is the author of several books and more than a hundred articles on issues in feminist legal theory, law and literature, law and humanities, jurisprudence and constitutional law and theory, most recently, Marriage, Sexuality, and Gender (2007) and Re-Imagining Justice (2003). She is the recipient of a J. B. White Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association for the Study of Law, Culture and Humanities and she has held the John Carroll Research Chair at Georgetown.
- Author(s)Robin West
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/08/2011
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Introductions to Philosophy and Law
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight470 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.