All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing the immense success of his Mediterranean Seafood, Alan Davidson resolved to apply the same recipe to the North Atlantic Ocean. This extraordinary work, the culmination of years of research, is the result. Far more than just fish and fish cookery, it distils the accumulated kwledge of generations of weather-beaten fisher folk, curious scientists and happy fish lovers in kitchens and dining rooms the world over. In an addictive cocktail of anecdote and lore the book combines scientific catalogue of edible marine creatures with recipes drawn from the Atlantic shores - and even the Baltic in a brief excursus to Finland, Russia and the Baltic States. The book is split between a catalogue, with drawings and description of each sort of fish, together with cookery tes and any information that might put it in context; and a recipe section which draws on the best methods of cooking these types of fish from the many countries best acquainted with them. There is a full index and bibliography. The chief delight of the book is the delicate skill with which so many facts are deployed. The style is at once playful and learned; accurate, yet with an eye to the surreal.
- Author BiographyThe late Alan Davidson was a diplomat until 1975, thereafter devoting his life to writing about food. He was a significant catalyst of modern British food studies. He also wrote three definitive studies of seafood and completed the celebrated Oxford Companion to Food (1999). He won the Erasmus Prize in 2003 and was the subject of a BBC4 documentary in 2009/10. He died in 2003.
- PrizesWinner of Glenfiddich Award (Food) 1980 and Andre Simon Memorial Fund Award: Food 1978.
- Author(s)Alan Davidson
- PublisherProspect Books
- Date of Publication01/07/2012
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationBlackawton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintProspect Books
- Content Note100 b&w drawings
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.