All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionThis book tells the story of the North Norfolk fishing industry within living memory, compiled using numerous interviews with the fishermen themselves as well as rare photographs from the post-war fishing industry. With Cromer featuring as its centre point, long famous for its crabs, the fishing practices across the villages and towns between Wells and south-east Norfolk begin to unravel. Here, fishing has been characteristically traditional and markedly different from the industrial-scale fishing operating from the Wash. The boats, fishing gear and techniques are all described, in detail and often in the fishermen's own words, providing an important record of smaller-scale fishing practices lost in recent years. It has been written at a time when new designs of boats and fishing gear are changing the traditional face of the industry, and fishermen's sons are increasingly choosing to turn away from the sea. Fran Weatherhead's book forms a portrait to preserve a rapidly changing profession which has helped to define the character of the Norfolk coast that will be sure to please both fishermen and locals.
- Author BiographyFran Weatherhead is an archaeologist and artist who has developed a fascination with Norfolk's fishing heritage since she moved there in 1998. A number of her paintings focus on the fishermen and her murals hang in the Cromer RNLI Museum. She is secretary of the North Norfolk Fishermen's Society.
- Author(s)Fran Weatherhead
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication08/03/2011
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight450 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.