All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStanding on the banks of the River Nene, the thriving town of Northampton has come a long way from its industrial past in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries when its wealth was built on the dominant boot and shoe industry. Since then small independent family-run retailers have given way to large national chain stores and shopping centres such as the Grosver, and modern shops, cafes and bars fill the lively town centre. Yet despite these changes, Northampton still retains many of its original buildings and monuments, including the Guildhall, the Sessions House, Becket's Well and Bradlaugh's Monument. In Northampton Then & Now, Philip Sawford compares archive images of the Northampton of the past with full-colour modern photographs of the town today, exploring just how much has changed as well as finding unexpected similarities.
- Author BiographyPhilip Sawford has a degree in international and contemporary military history and a postgraduate diploma in museum studies. He currently works for the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, and has also volunteered in several smaller museums local to Northamptonshire. He is currently restoring his home, a 200-year-old blacksmith's cottage in Irthliongborough, Northants. This is his first book for The History Press.
- Author(s)Philip Sawford
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/06/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.