All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a topical, comparative study of the ecomic, social and political development of Norway and Scotland since 1800. How did the development of two small countries at the rth of Europe, whose histories were joined from about the year 795 AD - including a 300 year alliance - nevertheless diverge sharply in the modern era? This edited collection of essays covers various elements of this analysis including land ownership, politics, agriculture, industry, money and banking, local government, education, religion, access and the outdoor life, as well as several more synthetic chapters. Written as it is by historians, political scientists, ecomists, sociologists, anthropologists and human geographers, the book moves beyond historical narrative, and outlines elements of a theory of divergent development between Norway and Scotland over the long term, and so towards a vel history which will be of interest to a wider audience. Features: focus on key periods of intensive relationships between Scotland and Norway; new analysis of the differences between the two countries after the medieval period; clear information and analysis of how Norway changed after independence from Denmark; policy ideas on 'independence' issues such as natural resources and land rights; and, exclusive essays from established and new scholars.
- Author BiographyJohn Bryden is Emeritus Professor of Human Geography at the University of Aberdeen. Ottar Brox is former Professor of Sociology and Planning at the University of Tromso, and Senior Researcher, Norwegian Institute of Urban and Regional Research. Lesley Riddoch is one of Scotland's best known commentators and broadcasters.
- Author(s)Lesley Riddoch,Ottar Brox
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2015
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note9 b&w illustrations, 24 b&w tables
- Weight726 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byJohn Bryden
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.