All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRelive the romance of the fur trade. With previously unpublished photographs, this new edition of Northern Trader is a vivid personal memoir and valuable primary account of the last days of the fur trade. Harold Kemp recounts the routines and rhythms of that long-lost way of life and paints a portrait of the rth as a vast region of infinite allure. In palpable, often gripping prose, Kemp depicts life on the trail in all seasons: paddling and portaging freight caes, using muzzle-loaders, running on swshoes to break trails for dogs pulling toboggans, and making camp at the end of an exhausting day. A gifted writer, Kemp creates distinctive portraits of those he encounters, including the Cree people among whom he lived, whose language he spoke, whose skills he admired, and whose customs he respected.
- Author BiographyH.S.M. (Harold) Kemp was born in the U.K. In 1892 and came to the North-West Territories as a boy. At age sixteen he began working for the Hudson's Bay Company. Three years later he joined Revillon Freres, then the HBC's great rival. His Northern Trader is the only full-scale recollection of the fur trade we have by a French Company man.
- Author(s)Harold Stuart Miller Kemp
- PublisherUniversity of Regina Press
- Date of Publication03/11/2014
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationRegina
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Regina Press
- Content Note0
- Weight258 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.