All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe violent and predatory society of Dark Age Scandinavia left a unique impact on the history of medieval Europe. From their chill rthern fastness, Norse warriors, explorers and merchants raided, traded, and settled across wide areas of Europe, Asia and the North Atlantic from the late 8th to the mid-11th century. THE VIKING CHRONICLES narrates their story focusing on places where key events were played out, from the sack of Lindisfarne in 793 to the murder in Iceland in 1241 of the saga-writer Srri Sturluson. Such episodes are fascinating in themselves, but also shed crucial light on the nature of Viking activity - its causes, effects, and the reasons for its decline. In 800 the Scandinavians were barbarians in longboats bent on plunder and rapine; by 1200, their homelands were an integral part of Latin Christendom. John Haywood tells, in authoritative but compellingly readable fashion, the extraordinary story of the Viking Age.
- Author BiographyDr John Haywood is a Cambridge-educated expert on the history of Dark Age Europe. His authorial credits include The New Atlas of World History (T&H ), The Penguin Atlas of the Vikings and Great Migrations (Quercus).
- Author(s)John Haywood
- PublisherHead of Zeus
- Date of Publication06/10/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHead of Zeus
- Content Note8pp col illus
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.