All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJean Russell Larson, a ted folklorist, presents eight delightful chimney-corner tales that have been passed down in her Norwegian family. Illustrations are by Penny Follow Frischkorn, graduate of St. Olaf's College. This delightful book has stories of maidens and misers, of smelly old goats, and greedy princes, with the requisite cautionary tales for young listeners. You'll find a story on a girl named Dumpling and an orphan named Elsie who understands that fair is fair. Larson grew up hearing the stories from her Norwegian family. She told the tales to her children, who referred to the stories as chimney corner tales, given that the corner fireplace was where family members gathered to hear the stories. And w she's sharing them with you. Suggested for ages 9 and up.
- Author BiographyJean Russell Larson is the author of six books for children. She has received a Notable Book Award from the American Library Association and a Lewis Carroll Shelf Award from the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Education. The latter award recognizes books that belong on the same shelf or are of the same caliber as Carroll's well-known Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. Larson lives in Marshalltown, Iowa, and holds a bachelor's degree from Buena Vista University and a master's degree from Iowa State University. She taught English and children's literature at Marshalltown Community College and Buena Vista University. She also taught creative writing for Iowa Valley Continuing Education as well as English at Iowa State University. The mother of eight, she is a civil rights activist and community volunteer. Penny Follows Frischkorn, illustrator, studied art and psychology at St. Olaf College and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. She lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, with her husband, daughter, and cat.
- Author(s)Jean Russell Larson
- PublisherNorwegian Folk Tales of Anthon and Gurina Johnson
- Date of Publication03/06/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorwegian Folk Tales of Anthon and Gurina Johnson
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight59 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Edited byDeb Schense
- Illustrator(s)Penny Follows Frischkorn
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.49Trending at AU $29.23
- AU $26.50Trending at AU $33.19
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.48
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $43.81
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.51
- AU $19.13Trending at AU $19.55
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.