All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.39
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.81
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.37
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.61Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $16.48Trending at AU $17.15
About this product
- DescriptionNotes from the Underground is recounted from the perspective of a narrator who describes himself as sick, spiteful, and unattractive; he styles himself the Underground Man. His thoughts and his moods veer unpredictably as he reflects on himself and his world; on past, present, and future; on the folly of human idealism and the reality of human squalor and degradation. The intellectual and psychological power of the book are deeply rooted in the conflicts and contradictions that afflict the narrator--many of which seem to have afflicted Dostoevsky himself for much of the 1860s. Once attracted to idealistic and utopian tions, he w found himself repelled by them. A passionate advocate of freedom, he had little confidence that humans could use freedom for the good. The Underground Man is t a unified self, but a self-contradictory character, like his author. His bewildering complexity and relentless self-analysis make him one of the most memorable and thought-provoking protagonists of modern literature. As well as the text itself and an informative introduction, this new edition includes a selection of background documents (also newly translated), which help set the work in the cultural and intellectual context out of which it emerged.
- Author BiographyFyodor Dostoevsky (1821-1881) was one of the leading figures of nineteenth-century literature. Kirsten Lodge is Assistant Professor of Comparative and World Literature and Humanities at Midwestern State University, Wichita Falls, Texas.
- Author(s)Fyodor Dostoevsky
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/09/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleBroadview Editions
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight218 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byKirsten Lodge
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.