All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBased around an interview with Tadao Ando, this book explores the influence of the Buddhist concept of thingness on Ando's Christian architecture, and sheds new light on the cultural significance of the buildings of one of the world's leading contemporary architects. Specifically, this book situates Ando's churches, particularly his world-rewned Church of the Light (1989), within the legacy of thingness expounded by Kitaro Nishida (1870-1945), the father of the Kyoto Philosophical School. Linking Ando's Christian architecture with a philosophy originating in Mahayana Buddhism illuminates the relationship between the two religious systems, as well as tying Ando's architecture to the influence of Nishida on post-war Japanese art and culture.
- Author BiographyJin Baek is Assistant Professor in the Department of Architecture at Pennsylvania State University. His research interests include the cross-cultural issues between East Asia and the West in architecture and urbanism.
- Author(s)Jin Baek
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/06/2009
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note75 black & white halftones, 7 black & white line drawings
- Weight612 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.