All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionNovels, Maps, Modernity is a remarkable book that promises to transform our kwledge of the representation of space in modern fiction. - Brian Richardson, University of Maryland Bulson's informative book maps out the territory and points the way to further research and discovery. - Ian Pindar, Times Literary Supplement Novels, Maps, Modernity argues that cartographic devices-including maps, sea charts, and aerial photographs-have radically shaped how velistic space has been imagined and represented from the midnineteenth century to the end of the twentieth. More than an antidote to disorientation, Eric Bulson demonstrates that they conceal a more complex story about capitalism, urbanization, empire, and world war. Guiding readers through the cartographic encounters of Melville, Joyce, Pynchon and the long tradition of literary mapping, Bulson provides an original and thoughtful argument about space and the modern vel. In this volume, Bulson examines: * the development of velistic space from realism to postmodernism * the reality effect of mapping and signposting within vels * the juxtaposition of map and text * the rise of literary maps and guidebooks.
- Author BiographyEric Bulson is Associate Professor of English at Claremont Graduate University, US.
- Author(s)Eric Bulson
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2009
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Notemaps
- Weight294 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.