All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis edited volume explores competing perspectives on the impact of nuclear weapons proliferation on the South Asian security environment. The spread of nuclear weapons is one of the world's foremost security concerns. The effect of nuclear weapons on the behaviour of newly nuclear states, and the potential for future international crises, are of particular concern. As a region of burgeoning ecomic and political importance, South Asia offers a crucial test of proliferation's effects on the crisis behaviour of newly nuclear states. This volume creates a dialogue between scholars who believe that nuclear weapons have stabilized the subcontinent, and those who believe that nuclear weapons have made South Asia more conflict prone. It does so by pairing competing analyses of four major regional crises: the 1987 Brasstacks crisis, the Indo-Pakistani crisis of 1990, the 1999 Kargil war, which occurred after the nuclear tests; and the 2001-2 Indo-Pakistani militarized standoff. In addition, the volume explores the implications of the South Asian nuclear experience for potential new nuclear states such as North Korea and Iran.
- Author BiographySumit Ganguly is a professor of political science, holds the Rabindranath Tagore Chair in Indian Cultures and Civilizations, and is director of research of the Center on American and Global Security at Indiana University, Bloomington. He is the author, co-author, editor or co-editor of 15 books on South Asia. S. Paul Kapur is associate professor in the Department of Strategic Research, U.S. Naval War College, and visiting professor at Stanford University's Center for International Security and Cooperation.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/08/2008
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleAsian Security Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white tables
- Weight521 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byS. Paul Kapur,Sumit Ganguly
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.