All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEver since the possibility of nuclear fission arose in the minds of the physicists of the 1930s, nuclear weapons seem to have had a momentum of their own. In charge of them, and driven by them, are the nuclear decision-makers. This book takes the reader behind the tests and deployments of bombs and missiles to reveal who takes the decisions to develop nuclear weapons and what kind of people they are. Ranging from the laboratories where 'Star Wars' weapons are being invented, to the Design Bureau where Soviet missiles are developed, to Mururoa Atoll, testing site of the French neutron bomb, to the lake-side compound in the Beijing, from which the modernisation of Chinese nuclear weapons is directed, to the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment at Aldermaston, where warheads for British nuclear weapons are designed, the author asks: who is in charge of nuclear weapons?
- Author BiographyHUGH MIALL is a research co-ordinator with the Oxford Research Group. He read modern history at Merton College, Oxford, and later obtained a PhD in peace and conflict studies from the University of Lancaster. Before taking up his present position he was a consultant to Earth Resources Research and co-author of 'Energy Efficient Future: Opening the Solar Option'. He gave evidence at the Sizewell Inquiry in 1984.
- Author(s)Mr. Hugh Miall
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication05/06/1987
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Out-of-print date31/10/2009
- Content Notebiography
- Weight237 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.