All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNucleic Acids describes the way in which the fundamentally important biological activities of these molecules can be understood in terms of their chemical structures. The book focuses on the chemistry of the deoxyribonucleic acids (DNA) and ribonucleic acids (RNA). However, because nucleic acid chemistry cant be fully understood without some kwledge of the underlying biology, a substantial amount of the background biology is also included. Beginning with a concise review of the biological roles of nucleic acids, the text then discusses the components from which they are made, and works up through nucleosides and nucleotides to the covalent structures of the nucleic acids themselves. The double helical structure of DNA and its implications for replication are then described. This is followed by a detailed treatment of the chemistry of the processes by which the information encoded in DNA is expressed in terms of the ami acid sequences of proteins. The final chapter describes modern tools of DNA analysis and how they have been used in a range of recent applications such as gene cloning, geme sequence analysis, and DNA fingerprinting. Although targeted specifically at undergraduate chemistry students, Nucleic Acids will also be of interest to undergraduates studying biochemistry. Ideal for the needs of undergraduate chemistry students, Tutorial Chemistry Texts is a major series consisting of short, single topic or modular texts concentrating on the fundamental areas of chemistry taught in undergraduate science courses. Each book provides a concise account of the basic principles underlying a given subject, embodying an independent-learning philosophy and including worked examples.
- Author BiographyProfessor Abel is an Emeritus Professor at the University of Exeter.
- Author(s)Shawn Doonan
- PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Date of Publication01/04/2004
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleTutorial Chemistry Texts
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 20
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight560 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Series Edited byDavid Phillips,J. Derek Woollins,A. G. Davies
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.