All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNumber Theory: A Lively Introduction with Proofs, Applications,and Stories, is a new book that provides a rigorous yetaccessible introduction to elementary number theory along withrelevant applications.
Readable discussions motivate new concepts and theorems beforetheir formal definitions and statements are presented. Manytheorems are preceded by Numerical Proof Previews, which arenumerical examples that will help give students a concreteunderstanding of both the statements of the theorems and the ideasbehind their proofs, before the statement and proof are formalizedin more abstract terms. In addition, many applications of numbertheory are explained in detail throughout the text, including somethat have rarely (if ever) appeared in textbooks.
A unique feature of the book is that every chapter includes amath myth, a fictional story that introduces an importantnumber theory topic in a friendly, inviting manner. Many of theexercise sets include in-depth Explorations, in which aseries of exercises develop a topic that is related to the materialin the section.
- Author BiographyJames Pommersheim is the Katharine Piggott Professor ofMathematics at Reed College. He held post-doctoral positions at theInstitute for Advanced Study, M.I.T., and U.C. Berkeley, and heserved on the mathematics faculty at New Mexico State Universityand Pomona College. Pommersheim has published research papers in awide variety of areas, including algebraic geometry, number theory,topology, and quantum computation. He has enjoyed teaching numbertheory to students at many levels: college math and math educationstudents, talented high school students, and advanced graduatestudents. Pommersheim earned his Ph.D. from the University ofChicago, where he studied under William Fulton.
Tim Marks is a Research Scientist at Mitsubishi ElectricResearch Laboratories in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Previously, hetaught high school mathematics and physics for three years, and heworked for three years as a mathematics textbook editor at McDougalLittell/ Houghton Mifflin. Marks and Pommersheim have taught numbertheory at the Johns Hopkins University's Center for Talented Youth(CTY) summer program for 19 years. Marks earned his A.B. degreefrom Harvard University. He completed his Ph.D. and postdoctoralresearch at the University of California, San Diego.
Erica Flapan joined the mathematics department at PomonaCollege in 1986. She held post-doctoral positions at RiceUniversity and the University of California, Santa Barbara. Flapanhas taught a wide range of mathematics courses and has numerouspublications in topology and its applications to chemistry,including her book When Topology Meets Chemistry. Shedeveloped a course entitled Problem Solving in theSciences, which aims to teach students the mathematics theyneed in order to succeed in science and economics. Flapan obtainedher Ph.D. in knot theory from the University of Wisconsin and isthe Lingurn H. Burkhead Professor of Mathematics at PomonaCollege.
- Author(s)Erica Flapan,James Pommersheim,Tim Marks
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication19/03/2010
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationChichester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight1216 g
- Width196 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $19.32Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.16