All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this major two-volume work, rewned endgame theoretician John Nunn teaches the skills that are most important to success in practical endgames. Going beyond standard texts, Dr Nunn shows how to apply kwledge of standard endgames to find the right methods in tricky real-life practical situations - even when they differ greatly from the idealized forms given by traditional endgame manuals. * Identifies new and important motifs which occur repeatedly in over-the-board play* Tactical elements are heavily featured* In many examples, previous analysis is corrected* Focuses on endgames that are susceptible to concrete analysis* Geared to the over-the-board player - composed or artificial positions* Ideas underlying analysis - however complex - are richly explained in words Nunn shows that lack of familiarity with key ideas can cause important ideas and themes to be missed even by very strong players. We discover that a staggering amount of previously published endgame analysis is simply wrong, and that many of the standard guidelines are at best partially true. This second volume focuses on rook endgames - the most common and important category of practical endgames. Nunn also covers endings with rooks and mir pieces, a wide and rich area of strategic endgame play that is universally recognized as vital for chess mastery, but nevertheless neglected in chess literature.
- Author BiographyDr John Nunn is one of the best-respected figures in world chess. He was among the world's leading grandmasters for nearly twenty years, winning four gold medals in chess Olympiads and finishing sixth overall in the World Cup in 1989. He is a much-acclaimed writer, whose works have won 'Book of the Year' awards in several countries. In both 2004 and 2007 Nunn was crowned World Chess Solving Champion, ahead of many former champions.
- Author(s)John Nunn
- PublisherGambit Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication13/08/2010
- SubjectHobbies, Pastimes & Indoor Games
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGambit Publications Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight685 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.