All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionAlmost a decade ago, Peter S. Silin wrote Nursing Homes: The Family's Journey to provide family members with practical advice and emotional support. This successor volume incorporates the new and sometimes baffling world of assisted living. Nursing Homes and Assisted Living focuses on the psychological, emotional, and practical aspects of helping family members and seniors make a difficult transition. Silin approaches his subject with compassion and sensitivity, guiding readers through the process of finding the best possible care. He describes how nursing homes and assisted living facilities work and outlines the selection process; he explains how to prepare for the day a relative moves into a facility and suggests ways to help the resident settle in; he focuses on the family member's role in solving problems, obtaining good-quality care, and visiting. The author's insights help caregivers cope with difficult decisions and deal with emotional issues such as guilt and grief, while celebrating the tender, rewarding aspects of being a caregiver. Vignettes from real-life caregivers narrating their experiences amplify Silin's advice and will resonate with families. This book provides caregivers, family members, and seniors with the information they need to effect successful transitions. It is also a valuable tool for social workers, nurses, and family therapists.
- Author BiographyPeter S. Silin is a geriatric social worker, the founder of Elderpost.com, and the principal of Diamond Geriatrics, Inc., a geriatric care management company in Vancouver, British Columbia. He has worked in all areas of senior care.
- Author(s)Peter S. Silin
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication11/12/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Weight658 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Explore Buying Guides
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.