All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionElection 2008 made American history, but it was also the product of American history. Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and Sarah Palin smashed through some of the most enduring barriers to high political office, but their exceptional candidacies did t come out of where. In these timely and accessible essays, a distinguished group of historians explores how the candidates both challenged and reinforced historic stereotypes of race and sex while echoing familiar themes in American politics and exploiting new digital techlogies. Contributors include Kathryn Kish Sklar on ClintonAes gender masquerade; Tiffany Ruby Patterson on the politics of black anger; Mitch Kachun on Michelle Obama and stereotypes about black womenAes bodies; Glenda E. Gilmore on black womenAes century of effort to expand political opportunities for African Americans; Tera W. Hunter on the lost legacy of Shirley Chisholm; Susan M. Hartmann on why the U.S. has t yet followed western democracies in electing a female head of state; Melanie Gustafson on Palin and the political traditions of the American West; Ronald Formisa on the populist resurgence in 2008; Paula Baker on how digital techlogies threaten the secret ballot; Catherine E. Rymph on PalinAes distinctive brand of political feminism; and Elisabeth I. Perry on the new look of American leadership.
- Author BiographyLiette Gidlow is an associate professor of history at Wayne State University and the author of The Big Vote: Gender, Consumer Culture, and the Politics of Exclusion, 1890s-1920s.
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication20/12/2011
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Weight318 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byLiette Gidlow
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.