Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Obama s Wars, Bob Woodward provides the most intimate and sweeping portrait yet of the young president as commander in chief. Drawing on internal memos, classified documents, meeting tes and hundreds of hours of interviews with most of the key players, including the president, Woodward tells the inside story of Obama making the critical decisions on the Afghanistan War, the secret campaign in Pakistan and the worldwide fight against terrorism. At the core of Obama s Wars is the unsettled division between the civilian leadership in the White House and the United States military as the president is thwarted in his efforts to craft an exit plan for the Afghanistan War. So what s my option? the president asked his war cabinet, seeking alternatives to the Afghanistan commander s request for 40,000 more troops in late 2009. You have essentially given me one option...It s unacceptable. Well, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates finally said, Mr. President, I think we owe you that option. It never came. An untamed Vice President Joe Biden pushes relentlessly to limit the military mission and avoid ather Vietnam. The vice president frantically sent half a dozen handwritten memos by secure fax to Obama on the eve of the final troop decision. President Obama s ordering a surge of 30,000 troops and pledging to start withdrawing U.S. forces by July 2011 did t end the skirmishing. General David Petraeus, the new Afghanistan commander, thinks time can be added to the clock if he shows progress. I don t think you win this war, Petraeus said privately. This is the kind of fight we re in for the rest of our lives and probably our kids lives. Hovering over this debate is the possibility of ather terrorist attack in the United States. The White House led a secret exercise showing how unprepared the government is if terrorists set off a nuclear bomb in an American city which Obama told Woodward is at the top of the list of what he worries about all the time. Verbatim quotes from secret debates and White House strategy sessions and firsthand accounts of the thoughts and concerns of the president, his war council and his generals reveal a government in conflict, often consumed with nasty infighting and fundamental disputes. Woodward has discovered how the Obama White House really works, showing that even more tough decisions lie ahead for the cerebral and engaged president. Obama s Wars offers the reader a stunning, you-are-there account of the president, his White House aides, military leaders, diplomats and intelligence chiefs in this time of turmoil and danger.
- Author(s)Bob Woodward
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication03/05/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Noteblack & white plates
- Weight408 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.