All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionThe growth of science and a correspondingly scientific way of looking at evidence have for the last three centuries slowly been gaining ground over religious explanations of the cosmos and mankind's place in it. However, t only is secularism w under renewed attack from religious fundamentalism, but it has also been widely claimed that the scientific evidence itself points strongly to a universe deliberately fine-tuned for life to evolve in it. In addition, certain aspects of human life, like consciousness and the ability to recognise the existence of universal moral standards, seem completely resistant to evolutionary explanation. In this book Colin Howson analyses in detail the evidence which is claimed to support belief in God's existence and argues that the claim is t well-founded. Moreover, there is very compelling evidence that an all-powerful, all-kwing God t only does t exist but cant exist, a conclusion both surprising and provocative.
- Author BiographyColin Howson is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Toronto and Emeritus Professor, London School of Economics and Political Science. He is the author of Hume's Problem: Induction and the Justification of Belief (2000), Logic with Trees (1997) and, with Peter Urbach, Scientific Reasoning: The Bayesian Approach (3rd edition, 2006).
- Author(s)Colin Howson
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/07/2011
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus.
- Weight370 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.