All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the wide interest in material culture, art, and aesthetics, few studies have considered them in light of the importance of the social imagination - the complex ways in which we conceptualize our social surroundings. This collection engages the material turn in the arts, humanities, and social sciences through a range of original contributions on creativity in diverse global and contemporary social settings. The authors engage with everyday objects, art, rituals, and ethgraphic exhibitions to analyze the relationship between material culture and the social imagination. What results is a better understanding of how the material embodies and influences our idea of the social world.
- Author BiographyOivind Fuglerud is professor of social anthropology and Head of the Department of Ethnography at the Museum of Cultural History, University of Oslo. His research interests include Diaspora formations, politics of cultural representation and aesthetics. He has published a number of works on the conflict in Sri Lanka and its consequences, including Life on the Outside - the Tamil Diaspora and Long-Distance Nationalism (Pluto Press 1999). Leon Wainwright is Lecturer in Art History at The Open University and Editor-in-Chief of the Open Arts Journal. His publications include Timed Out: Art and the Transnational Caribbean (Manchester University Press, 2011) and numerous writings on modern and contemporary histories of art and global change. He is a recipient of the Philip Leverhulme Prize for the history of art.
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/02/2015
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleMaterial Mediations: People and Things in a World of Movement
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note41 illus.
- Weight531 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byLeon Wainwright,Oivind Fuglerud
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.53
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $22.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.