All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionMayan culture has survived since 2000 BC and represents a one-of-a-kind combination of ancient beliefs mixed with Spanish-imposed Catholicism and other cultural influences. If we are to truly appreciate this culture, we must understand each of these elements, how they come together, and how they are presented to the world. Through their art, the Maya have repeatedly told their story, and historians have continuously studied it. Looking at ancient artifacts, scholars have deciphered many secrets of the Maya's past-but what of their more contemporary pieces? What stories do they tell?Objects of the Mayan Spirit - Religious Folk Art takes a closer look at contemporary Mayan objects and goes beyond the surface to interpret them in terms of their anthropological meaning. More than a list of simple descriptions, it analyzes objects such as masks and santos and links them to their pre-Columbian roots, exploring the ways these modern items tell the same stories as ancient artifacts. The large, vivid photos, maps, and other images in this informative and insightful book are sure to capture your attention, and the text may very well challenge some of your convictions. Art lovers, historians, and students of religion or culture will benefit from reading, and undoubtedly discover that kwing and believing really is seeing.
- Author BiographyRobert Louis Drapkin, MD, FACP, is the owner of New World Imports, Inc., the largest importer of Guatemalan santos in the world. His business is headquartered in Clearwater and St.Petersburg, Florida.His work is focused on the Maya of Guatemala and the Yucatan. Objects of the Mayan Spirit - Religious Folk Art is Drapkin's most recent book.
- Author(s)Robert Louis Drapkin
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication10/08/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight308 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.