Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionThe sestina (of medieval French origin) is a complex poetic form of 39 lines (six sestets and a three-line envoy ) in which the six end-words (teleutons) of the lines of the first sestet stanza are repeated in a specific order as teleutons in the five succeeding sestets. In the envoy, the six teleutons are again picked up, one of them being buried in, and one finishing, each line. Because of the complexity of the form, the sestina fell out of favor with poets for several decades. However, a twenty-first century revival of the form is underway. This is the first anthology of sestinas that showcases both traditional and invative examples of the form by modern and contemporary poets, award winners, and emerging writers alike. Organized by such themes as Americana; Art; Love and Sex; and Memory, Contemplation, Retrospection, and Death, the collection also includes sestinas with irregular teleutons and unconventional sestinas. An evocative introduction by Marilyn Krysl acquaints readers with the form. The volume concludes with useful indexes of first lines and teleutons, increasing access to the poems beyond the poets' names.
- Author BiographyCAROLYN BEARD WHITLOW is the Charles A. Dana Professor of English at Guilford College in Greensboro, North Carolina. Her poems have been anthologized in over twenty collections and have appeared in the Kenyon Review, Indiana Review, Cold Mountain Review, and many more. MARILYN KRYSL is a poet and short story writer whose work has appeared in the Atlantic, the Nation, the Pushcart Prize Anthology, and more. Swear the Burning Vow: Selected and New Poems (2009) is her tenth collection of poetry.
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication04/03/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDartmouth College Press
- Weight372 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byCarolyn Beard Whitlow,Marilyn Krysl
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.