All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a comparative analysis of maritime law and its administration in five rthern European towns. It has often been assumed that there was a common maritime law in rthern Europe, shared between skippers and merchants who conducted their business along the North Sea and Baltic littoral. This study examines this assumption by studying the dissemination of law compilations across this region, and by comparing the contents of these and the judgments passed by urban courts in cases of shipwreck, jettison and ship collision. Medieval maritime law has never before been the subject of a major study in the English language. The practice of maritime law has, up until w, largely been igred. This book is the first to offer a comparison of maritime laws and court proceedings. It is also unique in that it provides a truly comparative history, covering a large geographical area stretching from Aberdeen on the North Sea coast to Reval (present-day Tallinn) in the innermost regions of the Baltic. Key features: overview of all medieval maritime law compilations; an insight into the workings of medieval urban courts; a unique study of maritime law and legal practice; and, comparative approach allows for impactful conclusions on medieval shipping.
- Author BiographyEdda Frankot completed her PhD in History and Law at the University of Aberdeen. Since then, she has worked as a research fellow at the universities of Groningen and Aberdeen, before becoming a lecturer in History at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam in 2011.
- Author(s)Edda Frankot
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication27/08/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleScottish Historical Review Monographs
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Notemaps
- Weight567 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Series Edited byAndrew MacKillop
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.