Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.84
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
About this product
- DescriptionA consuming story of love, loss and redemption set in the classical world of Rome and Greece, Of Merchants and Heroes is the story of a young man's pursuit of his father's murderer and of the values and qualities he develops that will make him a man...a man capable of a deep, ble and enduring love. At the end of the third century BC, as Republican Rome's long war with Carthage was at last drawing to a close, it was already threatened by a new enemy, Philip, the tyrant king of Macedon in the east...Into this turbulent world emerges our Roman hero, Marcus, whose father is brutally murdered by pirates on a journey from Italy to Corfu on a visit to his uncle. Fate takes him to some of the great cities of the Greco-Roman world at a time of major turbulence, where he learns much and finds love unexpectedly.This is a remarkable, beautifully written debut that explores political and philosophical questions that are timeless democracy and tyranny, war and self-defence, right and duty as well as questions of love, loyalty and betrayal.
- Author BiographyPaul Waters is a well-travelled classicist, and though educated in Britain, he has lived much of his life abroad - in Africa, America, Greece among other places. He now writes full time. This is his first novel.
- Author(s)Paul Waters
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication01/02/2008
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date01/10/2010
- Width135 mm
- Height234 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.