All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHenry David Thoreau has long been revered for his writings and observations on the natural world. His words evoke his environment with stunning clarity as well as his own innate sense of wonder. His journal, from which the text of Of Woodland Pools, Spring-Holes & Ditches is drawn, shares these strengths, providing an intimate view of Thoreau's day-to-day existence. The selected excerpts are pulled from the months of March, April, and May, and all pertain to what are w called vernal pools--temporary pools of water, free of fish, at their peak in the spring, and the breeding ground for numerous creatures. In this volume, Thoreau's words are accompanied by twenty-eight engravings by artist Abigail Rorer. The delicacy and detail of these engravings make them the perfect companion to Thoreau's words, adding ather layer of beauty to his observations. Each engraving is a work of art in and of itself, enriched by the text and Thoreau's visionary descriptions. The engravings are based on the woods and vernal pools explored by Thoreau, lending them undeniable authenticity. Thoreau once proclaimed, I have an appointment with spring. Through his words and Rorer's art, so too does the reader.
- Author BiographyAbigail Rorer is the founder of Lone Oak Press, which publishes award-winning fine press books, broadsides, and ephemera with wood engravings and etchings. The winner of many awards, including the Outstanding Print from Overseas from the British Society of Wood Engravers, she lives in Petersham, Massachusetts. Bradley P. Dean was the editor of the Thoreau Society Bulletin, a position he held for eleven years. The recipient of many research fellowships, including fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the American Antiquarian Society, he was honored with the Environmental Protection Agency's Henry David Thoreau Environmental Education Award in 1993. He died in 2006.
- Author(s)Henry David Thoreau
- Date of Publication25/04/2013
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight314 g
- Width254 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Abigail Rorer
- Introduction byBradley P. Dean
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.