All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.68
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $27.07Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.44
- AU $45.19Trending at AU $46.03
- AU $20.59Trending at AU $22.70
About this product
- DescriptionBarcelona s new soccer star is receiving death threats and Pepe Carvalho, gourmet gumshoe and former political prisoner under Franco, is hired to find out who s behind it. Pepe Carvalho is set to retire. Content to live out the rest of his days enjoying the best food and wine Catalonia has to offer, his plans are put on hold when an executive from Barcelona's world-famous soccer team pays him a visit. The center forward will be killed at dusk, reads the te the executive gives to Carvalho. With that, the detective, former communist, and one-time employee of the CIA, must find out where this te is from. Is the threat real? Is it the work of one person? Or is it one of the real estate moguls tearing Barcelona apart in their battle over the most important properties of Catalonia? Here Montalban does for the game of soccer what he has done for food. In an exquisite portrait of Spain s most beloved sport, soccer and politics mix in a gripping mystery about the reckless excesses and limits of power.
- Author BiographyPoet, playwright, essayist, and novelist Manuel Vazquez Montalban (1939 2003) was one of modern Spain s greatest writers. A politically active leftist as a young man, he was jailed under Franco for four years for supporting a miners strike. As an adult, he also became a gourmand, and wrote often about food. His Pepe Carvalho series set in Montalban s native Barcelona has won international acclaim, including the Planeta prize (1979) and the International Grand Prix de Litterature Policiere (1981). Ed Emery has also translated Mohamed Choukri, Antonio Negri, and Dario Fo.
- Author(s)Manuel Vazquez Montalban
- PublisherMelville House Publishing
- Date of Publication17/07/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitlePepe Carvalho Mysteries
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMelville House Publishing
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byEd Emery
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.